Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Week of Love...Making the Time

'Part of our problem is that we just don't have time anymore. Time to be there when we are needed. If we are forever reluctant to make time for those who cry out in need, who will be there when the tears are from our eyes? On one of our youth retreats a teenage girl wrote this story about growing up in a world which has lost the true value of time. She titled this little episode: There Wasn't Time '

"Time. It hangs heavy for the bored, eludes the busy, flies by for the young and runs out for the aged.
Time. We talk about it like it's a manufactured commodity that some can afford, others can't.
We waste it, crave it, abuse it, curse it, and kill it. Is it our friend or our enemy?
I suspect we know very little about it. To know it all and its potential, perhaps we should review it through a child's eyes.
When I was young, Daddy was going to throw me up in the air and catch me and I would giggle until I couldn't giggle anymore, but Daddy had to change the furnace filter - AND THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I was young, Mama was going to read me a story and I was going to turn the pages and pretend I could read, but she had to wax the bathroom floor- AND THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I was young, Daddy was going to come to school and watch me in a play. I was the fourth Wiseman, (in case one of the three got sick), but he had an appointment to have his car tuned up and it took longer than he thought- AND THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I was young, Grandma and Grandpa were going to come for Christmas to see the expression on my face when I got my first bike, but Grandma didn't know who she could get to feed the dogs and Grandpa didn't like the cold weather and besides- THEY DIDN'T HAVE TIME.
~
When I was young, mama was going to listen to me read my essay on 'What I Want to be When I Grow Up.'; but she was in the middle of the Monday night movie and Gregory Peck was always one of her favorites- AND THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I was older Dad and I were going fishing one weekend, just the two of us and we were going to pitch a tent and anf fry fish with the heads on them like they do in the flashlight ads, but at the last minute he had to fertalize the grass - AND THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I was older, the whole family was always going to pose together for our Christmas card picture, but my brother had ball practice, my sister had her hair up, Dad was watching the Colts and Mom had to wax the bathroom - AGAIN THERE WASN'T TIME.
~
When I grew up and left home to be married, I was going to sit down with Mom and Dad and tell them I loved them and I would miss them. But Hank (he's our Bestman and a real clown), was honking the horn in front of the house, - SO THERE WASN'T TIME.

0 comments: